Monday, May 26, 2008

Grange Road Number 6: the first encounter

When I opened the front hostel door, a tall guy came into view. I said hello, smiling, but nothing was said in response!!! That was the first slap in the face, something the likeness of which never happened to me in my first visit. That was very unexpected and humiliating as I was told weeks before my departure that the students residing at Grange Road number 6 were told about my arrival. I did not expect people there to be waiting for me but the thing was that that was some sort of you being rejected when you knew that they had an idea about your coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not everyone says Hi in this country! :) I even used to ask myself whether "I did something wrong" every time I got snubbed lol

I don't find this attitude strange anymore..My feeling is that the English must get to know you very well before they can open up..
And even when they do, they remain slightly leery!