Monday, January 14, 2008

A text to translate

This is a passage I like. Please feel free to contribute with anything
you like. I will provide my own translation in the few coming days 
but please feel free to contribute with anything you see fit, even 
unfinished senteneces.

As I soon discovered, the word “big” hardly did justice to him. Effing’s son was immense, monumental in his bulk, a pandemonium of flesh heaped upon flesh. I had never met anyone of his dimensions before, and when I first spotted him sitting on a couch in the hotel lobby, I hesitated to approach him. He was one of those monstrous fat men you sometimes pass in a crowd: no matter how hard you struggle to avert your eyes, you can’t help gawking at him. He was titanic in his obesity, a person of such bulging, protrusive roundness that you could not look at him without feeling yourself shrink.

Paul Auster, Moon Palace, p. 235. 1989 edition printed by Clays Ltd

No comments: