Friday, July 25, 2008

A book I liked / a book I read


Only half of me is a book I liked, a book which I found very inspiring and very telling in many ways. It tells the story of Rageh Omar who works for Ajazeera International. The copy I have has the picture of a young black boy wearing 2 things: a T-shirt for the English football team and a muslim prayer cap.

Now, in the few coming weeks, I intend to re-read the book and comment on the passages that seem, to me, most interesting and probably most intriguing.

The book is compelling for many reasons. It comes from someone who worked for the bbc and then moved to Aljazeera, someone very much revered by a large section of the British society, however different he is from them.

It also brings to the surface underlying feelings, emotions, attitudes, viewpoints regarding many issues that touch deep in the mind and soul of people belonging to different cultures, and tries at the same time to play down the rift that might annihilate us all.

The book is an attempt to understand oneself and a call for a better understanding of the other.

No comments: